MORE OF ME

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

(TV REVIEW) Batlestar Galactica: Season 1

Most know that I consist of 90% geek and 10% "other", so it has been a hard pill to swallow when someone asks me if I have seen Battlestar Galactica I, with my head hung low in shame, replied "no". It wasn't so much that I was against the show, it was just that it always looked a liiiiiiitle....oh, whats the word, stupid. So I didn't think that there was any reason to watch (as first impressions are ALWAYS correct). Anywho, the more I looked into the series and its cast the more that I realized that some of my favorite shows featured people that had once been part of the BSG cast.

Then, a wonderful thing happened. I got hooked on Caprica (the short lived prequel series that aired for 2 seasons on Syfy). Most of the original fans didn't like Caprica that much, nor did they think that it was a worthy precursor to the beloved BSG series, but I liked it. I loved the question that it posed. "What makes us human?" . After its cancellation I found myself occupied with lots of new shows, Fringe, Falling Skies, American Idol (don't judge me),etc. But the summer hiatus finally hit and I needed something to watch. So I FINALLY bought BSG: Season 1.

I humored it at first. Not really thinking much of it. The special effects are not that special, the characters seemed a little one dimensional, and I really didn't think that I would be able to get on board with it. Then I watched another episode, and another, and another, until finally I went to put the last disc in and realized that I was out. Season 1 was over. I had watched over 13 hours of TV (plus the miniseries) in 2 days. THAT is what is so great about this show. It wraps you up. You get invested. It refuses to let you walk away from it.

So, in the end, I had to admit defeat. Much like the residents of Caprica City, the Cylons had defeated me. This show is pretty bad ass and I recommend that you check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment