MORE OF ME

Thursday, January 12, 2012

(Movie Review) Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Normally it aggravates me when we have a low release weekend. I always like having a few options when I go to the movies and most of the time I have seen almost everything that is playing at the local theater. So, I figured since I hit a weekend that did not have multiple films being released (and our local theater didn’t get The Devil Inside) that I would watch something that has been out for a few weeks, just to see if the “buzz” about it was deserved.
Plot: A bit of time has passed since the last time Holmes (Downey) and Watson (Law) have seen each other. In the span of that time Holmes has been building a case. Taking news articles from the disappearances and deaths of many influential people that, seemingly, have no connection. When a common denominator, Professor James Moriarty (Harris), presents itself, Holmes uses the facts to spring into action...even if it interrupts Watson’s wedding.  When the case proves to be a matter that could usher in global scale warfare, Holmes takes it upon himself to bring those involved down. Holmes and Watson will have to face off against a villain whose intellect rivals, if not exceeds, that of the great Sherlock Holmes in a battle that will test them mentally and physically. When the dust settles, who will be left standing?
I’m going to admit that I didn’t think that this movie was going to be worth a lot of the praise that it received. I figured that I would basically be watching another version of the first film with a “run of the mill” interchangeable villain that would fail to impress. Jared Harris (Moriarty) is not only a better villain than the first Holmes film offered, but the way he plays the character puts him near the top of my favorite villains of 2011. The perfect combination of genius and madness. A wonderful addition that makes this installment better than the original.
Worth the admission? Can Holmes ride a pony (you will get this during the movie)? YES. While Downey has a knack of going overboard with the character from time to time, the more serious delivery from Law helps this movie find its footing with the audience. I hope that they continue the franchise to include more tales from this wonderful, and complimentary, duo.
I will also point out that this movie has some AMAZING action scenes. There are a few that rival some of the best that I can recall. What this “Holmes” lacks in being a gentleman, he makes up for with action.
Let me know what you thought

No comments:

Post a Comment