MORE OF ME

Thursday, January 12, 2012

(Movie Review) Crazy, Stupid, Love

I have had a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to Steve Carell. Unless he is playing something very over-the-top it is usually a disappointment (please see Dan In Real Life for example). That, mixed with Ryan Gosling taking his first big "swing" at comedy...I wasn't too optimistic. Luckily I had faith that anything with Emma Stone in it would be worth the time (please see EASY A for example).

Plot: Cal (Carell) is blindsided by his wife Emily (Moore) when she tells him that she wants a divorce. After spending many nights crying into a drink at a local bar, he is confronted by a man named Jacob (Gosling). Jacob offers to help Cal regain his manhood. Cal assumes that this is through learning how to pick up women and gladly accepts. But when he finds himself in numerous unsettling circumstances, due to his new found "game", he is forced to make a decision on what kind of man he really is.

Thoughts? I really liked it. Gosling is funny as hell in it and the movie, overall, was fun. I HATED that they, like most movies, made it the husbands fault that the wife cheated. Not only that, but he is demonized for finding a life after she asks him for a divorce. The only other complaint I have about this is the curve ball they throw at you with the "nana" reveal. Seemed like they dropped that on us just for shock, and I didn't care for that. Other than those two small complaints, the movie was well worth renting. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment