MORE OF ME

Friday, March 16, 2012

(Movie Review) J. Edgar (2011)

I started this movie and was going to use it as background noise while I was doing something else. Within 5 minutes I was stuck on it and dropped everything else that I was working on. I really enjoyed this movie and thought that it was well acted. Some people are crying about how the "love story" made them uncomfortable, but to those people I will politely say "get over yourself". Honestly, this is a solid movie and if people allow a little thing like that to throw them off, they should stop watching movies.

Storyline: As the face of law enforcement in America for almost 50 years, J. Edgar Hoover (DiCaprio)  was feared and admired, reviled and revered. But behind closed doors, he held secrets that would have destroyed his image, his career and his life. - from IMDB.com

This movie, at its core, is a love story. It is a story about a man in love with his Country, his Job, and with a man. This is the problem for most folks. They either had no idea what Hoover was alleged to be involved in or they figured that this movie would not touch on that subject. Either way, it is time for people to stop using that " eeeewww. He's gay" as a crutch for why they don't like a movie and start judging the film on its merits. I bet you good money that if the love story would have been between Hoover and a woman the film would have a better score on IMDB. Every complaint I have seen has been "made the audience feel uncomfortable". Come on!

I'm not going to get on a soap box and tell anyone how they should feel, act, or believe, but I will say my peace and not touch on this subject again. This is a cruel and lonely world. There are things in this world that are UGLY and mean and they make it hard for you to get out of bed to face them. People should find happiness where they can. If this story is 100% factual or not, I haven't a clue, but if Tolson brought Hoover 1/100th of the happiness that my wife has brought me over the years....that should be enough to quiet all of those that the movie made "uncomfortable". It's 2012, folks. Act like it.

So, was the movie the best ever made. No. But was it worth renting and watching. Sure was. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment