MORE OF ME

Friday, March 16, 2012

(Movie Review) Footloose (2011)

I'm a remake hater (most of the time). I don't mean to be, but sometimes it just turns out that way. They try to update a classic by making it modern and sexy. Usually by adding Godawful special effects and stripping away the parts of a classic that make it classic. That, however, was not the case with this movie (in my very humble opinion). They do update some of the music, and some of the story to mesh better with the times, but for the most part this is just a (DARE I SAY IT) better version of the original. I was never a huge fan of the original. Kevin Bacon, even then, looked like an old man and it was hard for me to think of him as a teen. So I could never really get in to it. This seems to fit the idea a lot better. This guy looks the part of a high school student.

Storyline: City kid Ren MacCormack (Wormald) moves to a small town where rock 'n' roll and dancing have been banned, and his rebellious spirit shakes up the populace.- from IMDB.com

I have to mention this. The dancing is SOOOOOOOO much better in this movie than in the original. I mean, seriously. Willard (Penn) in the original could hang with the Willard (Teller) from the remake. No way. I will say that this movie is lacking in a lot of areas, don't get me wrong, especially in the bus race scene that pits 4 buses (that may reach 10 miles an hour) against each other. That was just stupid.

I guess the reason that I liked it was because it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I figured that it would be like Step Up meets Larry the Cable Guy, but it wasn't. Overall, I would probably give it a "C". So check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment