MORE OF ME

Friday, March 23, 2012

(Movie Review) 21 Jump Street (2012)

Reboots. Remakes. Prequels. After a while you start to think that they are all going to be trash. Just look at the horrible movies that have come from those three words. Heck, look at the horrifying adaptation of The Three Stooges that will soon make its way to screens near you. It can get depressing thinking about it. So, the one thing that I do like is when studio executives decide to launch a retro-TV based movie and they change the tone of. I love to see a different perspective on something that is familiar to me. Sometimes it fails, but usually people enjoy the throwback imagery and comments that shed new light on a show that they once loved. I will say that 21 Jump Street has to be one of the most wildly different interpretations that I have seen come from a classic TV program. It is loud, crude, and, if I must admit this, very funny.

Storyline: High school is tough. No one knows that more than Schmidt (Hill). Schmidt spends his days being tormented by bullies like Jenko (Tatum). After high school Schmidt and Jenko enroll into the same Police Academy and quickly become friends. After graduating, and a failed drug bust attempt, Jenko and Schmidt are reassigned to an undercover task force to help bring down a drug distribution group at a local high school. While working undercover they discover that the rules of high school have somewhat changed and they have a difficult time trying to fit into their new roles. Will high school pit them against each other once again or will they work together to bring down the bad guys?

This movie had me hurting from laughing so hard. My wife spent the whole drive to the theater making comments about how she didn’t think that she would like it and the whole trip home I made her apologize to me. It’s not a comedy for everyone. Not at all. There is an enormous amount of foul language that is used in the movie. That is unfortunate. But the comedy from the movie doesn’t come from that. It comes from the interactions between Hill and Tatum and how well they work out their timing when on screen together.

Worth the admission? Absolutely. I had a feeling that the movie would be funny, but I had no idea that I would laugh as much as I did. The movie is solid and the comedy, from both actors, is spot on. Please remember that this movie is not for children or young teens, but adults will get a good laugh out of it.


Let me know what you thought of the movie

No comments:

Post a Comment