MORE OF ME

Thursday, December 29, 2011

(TV REVIEW) Russell Brand in New York City

I love some good stand up. I watch it on Comedy Central and online a good bit and I love the courage that it takes to get up on stage and just let it rip. It takes a very special and specific attitude to do what stand up comics do. So I will judge ole Russell on a curve for this.

Brand is a funny guy. No doubt. His comedic performances in movies are always spot on. You cant ACT funny. You are either born with that quality or you aren't. So, for him to do funny movies proves to me that he is a funny person. That being said, stand up exposes every weakness you have as a comedian. Brand has a lot of them. He relies too much on his English-ness (is that a word) to make the joke work. Also, he over uses his one trick shot...androgyny. He plays the "is he isn't he" role a little too much and it gets old after a while.

Overall, the stand up was ok. Check it out on Netflix of Comedy Central. But I wouldn't break my neck looking for it, as it lacks in a lot of departments.

No comments:

Post a Comment