MORE OF ME

Monday, November 21, 2011

(DVD REVIEW) Whip It

I have always thought that I was destined for greatness. That something in my life would "click" and I would be happy and successful doing it. That I would just stumble across it and it would consume me in a way that nothing in my life previously had or probably ever would in the future. So far, with the exception of voting for my favorite American Idol, it has not happened. But, when watching this movie, it reminded me of why I am longing for that event so bad.

Bliss Cavendar (Page) is in a rut in her life. She doesn't feel like she is going anywhere and is always looking for something more. Her mother continues to guilt her into beauty pageants, she works at a dead end job, and she has little/no life outside of hanging out with her best friend Pash (Shawkat). One day, while shopping with her mom, she picks up a brochure for Roller Derby. After checking out a local bout she decides to try out for the team. Her world quickly changes and she finds herself with a new boyfriend, a new sense of self worth, and something to be passionate about. But when her perfect world begins to crumble, and a series or lies begins to catch up to her, she has to find a way to keep it all together OR go back to life the way it was.

Thoughts? I liked it. It was a very encouraging movie about finding something that you are passionate about and "going for it", regardless of what "it" is. The movie is about watching someone transition from just "going through the motions" to finding something that changes their life...and fighting for it. You can't ask for a better message than that in a film. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment