MORE OF ME

Monday, July 18, 2011

(MOVIE REVIEW) If there is one thing that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 shows us it’s that zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…sorry, I fell asleep.

I love to cook gumbo. It’s something that takes a while to do. Most of the time the stock simmers over the period of a full day and the roux can be a little tricky. Once, after all the time had been put into the preparation of the meal I finally got to taste it and it was horrible (as I had burned the roux). Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 is the EXACT same. I invested ten years into the horrible franchise, because my wife makes me watch them, and the payoff was way worse than burnt roux.
If you have been following the franchise you know where we are in the story. We are nearing the end of the story and Lord Voldemort (Fiennes) is in search of Potter (Radcliffe) and company. Snape (Rickman) is acting headmaster of Hogwarts and has locked the facility down. It is not until Potter returns that he and his friends decide to use Hogwarts as the location for their final stand against Voldemort. After a full scale attack is launched on the school, Harry must risk everything to save the place and people that he loves. Many lives are lost in the final battles between good and evil. Who will remain standing in the end?
If you have ten years to prepare for something you would think that you would turn out a fantastic end product, right? Not in the case here. This movie was boring. The wand battles were lazy. There was nothing redeeming about the action (or the lack of action) in this movie. I can tolerate when a franchise has one bad movie in the bunch, but this franchise has been sinking fast for the last four movies. I’m sure that 3D would have helped with the experience, but this film comes across as lazy and underwhelming.
Worth the admission? Not at all. Maybe if you are a fan of the series you will enjoy it, but most that went with me did not like it. The standard answer was “it was ok, but not great”. I would say rent it, and only if you have to see it at all.
Alan Rickman, as professor Snape, was the ONLY thing that I liked about this movie (and most of the others). He has such a presence on the screen and really stands proud of all other actors in this movie. Let me know if you agree or if you have a different favorite character/actor

No comments:

Post a Comment