MORE OF ME

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

(MOVIE REVIEW) Charlie Day proves that he is the most underrated comedic actor in Hollywood in the insanely funny Horrible Bosses

When I was a teenager I got a nicely wrapped gift from my dad for Christmas. I opened it and found this great leather bound box for my nightstand that I thought would be a very useful item. After he urged me to open the box I found some much appreciated money inside, which was basically the “real gift” (even though I still have the box on my night stand 13 years later but the money is long long gone). What a great feeling. To get something that is already a great premise but then, as if given a second gift, to see that it is filled with something that is actually BETTER than the package originally hinted at. This is exactly what you get with this film. A funny and amusing premise that is only the container for some amazingly talented comedic actors.

As the title and the previews easily give away, the movie is about three friends who hate their bosses.  Nick Hendricks (Bateman) is up for a promotion at work when his boss, Dave Harken (Spacey), completely crushes his dreams. Kurt Buckman (Sudeikis) runs into a “brickwall” at work when his father-figure of a boss dies unexpectedly and the deceased’s screw-up son, Bobby Pellitt (Farrell), proves to be a drug addicted ticking time bomb that threatens to siphon the money from the company and leave it destitute. Finally we come to Dale Arbus (Day), who is a dental assistant that is consistently being sexually harassed by his boss, Dr. Julie Harris (Anniston). One night the three friends decide that they would like to have their problems “removed” by a professional. When they meet a gentleman in a bar named (I will shorten it for obvious reasons) M.F. Jones, played by Jamie Foxx, they are sent on their paths to take care of their problems. When this blows up, and two of the bosses cross paths accidently, the three friends must find a way to wash their hands of the whole deal and clear their names. 

Worth the admission? 100% YES! One of the funniest comedies that I have seen in a long time. Easily rivals, and in my opinion beats, Bridesmaids for funniest movie of the year (so far). Charlie Day, of Always Sunny in Philadelphia fame, is insanely funny in this movie. This will finally open acting doors for him that should have been opened years ago. While Bateman is just “ok” (as he is basically his same character from Arrested Development/Extract/Couples Retreat/Juno/Et.) Anniston is fantastic. The shock of her transformation from America’s Sweetheart to a sex crazed dentist makes her that much funnier. I can’t stress this enough, everyone turns in great performances! 

Note: In most comedy movies they show almost all of the big laugh moments in the trailer, so you are left feeling like you already know the punch line when the joke comes. This movie saved the best stuff for the film and put the “throw away” jokes in the trailer. That should tell you how funny it is. 

Let me know if you shared my laughs with this week’s movie 

No comments:

Post a Comment