MORE OF ME

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

(Rental Review) Captain Phillips (2013)

There is a reason that I HATE to watch a movie late. People have either built it up or torn in down to the point that I am always either really really excited to see it or I have heard so much negative buzz that I skip it. Obviously, with this movie, I have heard nothing but positive. So I eagerly sat back with my snack and prepared for something truly inspiring to come on.....and I waited....and I waited.....and I waited. I don't know why I didn't love this movie as much as most people, but it bored me to death. Literally. This what I looked like after the credits.

moisturize meeeeeeeee


Storyline: 

The film focuses on the relationship between the Alabama's commanding officer, Captain Richard Phillips (two time Academy Award®-winner Tom Hanks), and the Somali pirate captain, Muse (Barkhad Abdi), who takes him hostage. Phillips and Muse are set on an unstoppable collision course when Muse and his crew target Phillips' unarmed ship; in the ensuing standoff, 145 miles off the Somali coast, both men will find themselves at the mercy of forces beyond their control. - imdb.com 

What I can't wrap my tiny mind around is what all the love for this film was about. Don't get me wrong. I think it is an amazing story and I truly feel sympathy for the people that are forced into a life and robbery/murder or be murdered. It's not fair and I am grateful that I do not have to suffer that hardship. But I didn't find new comer Barkhad Abdi to be all that convincing, I mean, look at him, how can you be scared of him in this movie. 


Give me my Oscar! 

Wrong picture, but pretty close. Not only did I kind of find the lead "big bad" to be less than terrifying, I think that this is the absolute least that I have ever liked Tom Hanks in a role. He was utterly and entirely unconvincing to me. His "emotional" scenes in the movie were laughable and his inability to emote was surprising. This is a man that brought me to tears when he lost his Volleyball, but can't work up a few tears for a man being held captive on a ship? Doesn't add up and felt phoned in. 

All in all, and I can't believe that I am saying this, I would recommend that you skip it. If you haven't seen it by now the hype has probably made you think that it is a masterpiece, and it wasn't. I was disappointed. 

C+



No comments:

Post a Comment