MORE OF ME

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

(Rental Review) Life of Pi (2012)

First of all, I would like to share my displeasure with the fact that this movie is not about desserts. Do not be fooled by the title. No one eats pie at any point in this movie. Be warned. Also, movies like this are why I absolutely HATE to watch something after it has already received so much praise from others. I have still never seen The Notebook just because everyone told me that I HAD TO SEE IT. Like it was going to break the world in half if one guy didn't watch it. Anyway, people did me the same way with this one. So I finally broke down and decided to watch it. And you know what I found? A guy floating on a raft is not that entertaining.

Storyline:  A young man who survives a disaster at sea is hurtled into an epic journey of adventure and discovery. While cast away, he forms an unexpected connection with another survivor: a fearsome Bengal tiger. - IMDB.com

Ok. So I am sure that you have all either already seen this movie or, at the very least, seen multiple commercials for the film. It is not like I am really going to be spoiling much by talking about it. I, within a few minutes of the shipwreck, knew that he was using this story as a way to tell about the people that survived with him and what happened. So the big heartfelt reveal at the end was not really as big of a payoff as it probably was to some.

On the plus side, the movie was BEAUTIFUL...but all of the beautiful stuff was CGI, so it kind of takes the shine off of some of it. If not for the CGI, you would have been stuck with this. And this looks stupid.

So, what did I think? Eh. It's ok. Long. Very pretty. But ultimately it left a lot to be desired. The story gets so damn convaluted that you have a hard time taking it seriously enough to not laugh. But again, some extremely beautiful shots. 

B-





No comments:

Post a Comment