MORE OF ME

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

(Movie Review) This Is the End (2013)

When I think about a movie like This Is the End, I think about Will Ferrell in Elf eating his spaghetti breakfast that is filled with candy, syrup, poptarts and marshmallows. Individually I like all of these things a lot, so common sense tells me that if I combine them that my love for them should grow...yet all that combination does is give you an upset stomach.

Storyline: While attending a party at James Franco's house, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel and many other celebrities are faced with the apocalypse.- IMDB.com

One of the things that most people raved about was that this movie played the appocolypse "straight" and just had a bunch of funny people approaching this unfunny appocaylpsye in a humerious way. I get that. I get what they were doing. But the problem is that the actors are not very funny in the way they approach the apocalypse, so it kind of throws the whole dynamic out the window.

Don't get me wrong. I love that these guys are cool with making fun of the things that movie goers already make fun of them about. That is rare. That would be like Arnold Schwarzenegger agreeing to do a movie about how no one can understand anything he says. But the comedy in the movie never really landed for me. It wasn't what I really hoped it would be.

The only actors that made the movie even slightly enjoyable was Danny McBride and Craig Robinson. They were both great.

C-



No comments:

Post a Comment