MORE OF ME

Thursday, September 13, 2012

(Movie Review) The Possession (2012)


Aren’t scary movies the best? I mean, really? Other than a comic book movie (that is well done) or a really good comedy I can’t think of any genre of movies that I enjoy more. Now I want to clarify that I am not talking about those over-the-top gory films. Outside of the old Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th franchises, gore movies have never been very appealing to me. I prefer the “bump” scary movies. Those films that just turn out to be slasher/gore films are the types of movies that I will often just sit back and laugh at, because there is nothing remotely relatable to them and anything that most of us have ever experienced. The appealing thing about suspenseful scary movies is that they are entirely relatable. Everyone has had those moments where they were alone in a dimly light room and swear they see something out of the corner of their eye. It’s such a rich and emotional area to make a movie from and I often find that I am drawn to movies like that. While this movie is far from perfect, it does turn out to be a really suspenseful supernatural film.

Storyline: In the wake of an ongoing divorce, Clyde (Morgan) is finding it hard to connect with his daughters Em (Calis) and Hannah (Davenport). The only time that he really gets to spend with them is when they come home with him on weekends. During one of the weekend visits Clyde takes the girls to a local garage sale where Em is drawn to an old box. After she talks her dad into purchasing it for her she happily places it in her room at his house. But there seems to be much more to this box when Clyde notices a change in Em. She becomes distant and, in a few cases, violent. Clyde is convinced that there is a connection to her new problems and this box, and he will go to any lengths to stop it from harming her. Clyde must find a way to convince those around him of what is going on and find a way to stop it once and for all.

Worth the admission? I say yes on this one. The only thing that I didn’t like about the movie was that the first 15-20 minutes of it was slow and at times seemed poorly edited.  After it gets through the first quarter of the movie it really picks up. Jeffery Dean Morgan, having worked in the paranormal world before (on Supernatural) turns in a solid performance, but it is Natasha Calis that really steals the show. She is fantastic as Em! Maybe I am being a little lenient on this film because it has been a while since I have watched a good scary/suspense movie, but I think that you should make plans to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment