MORE OF ME

Friday, July 6, 2012

(Movie Reviews) TED (2012)


Anticipation. It is one feeling that I let rule me more than most feelings. When I see something that I think I will really want to do/see/buy I often have a hard time waiting patiently for it. Then, in most cases, when I finally get to experience what I thought I wanted I am extremely let down. The idea of something usually makes me build it up to a level that is so far beyond what it can actually achieve that I will not be satisfied with anything that is delivered. I can’t help it. My mind is a curious thing. So when I heard that Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy/American Dad/The Cleveland Show) was creating his first Live Action film, I was really excited. Unfortunately when the movie was over I was left with little more than a “Meh” feeling.

Storyline: John Bennett (Wahlberg) was not the most popular kid. One Christmas he makes a wish that his new stuffed bear were alive so that he can finally have a friend. When the wish comes true, John and “Teddy” become lifelong best friends. Fast forward almost 30 years and John is still hanging out with his Teddy Bear all day, blowing off work, partying, and shirking all responsibilities.  This is extremely annoying to John’s girlfriend Lori (Kunis) who is ready to take their relationship to the next level but knows she can’t with Ted in the picture. John has to make a decision between keeping his lifelong friend in his life or moving forward with his relationship. 

I want to point this out I don’t think this is a bad movie, just that it wasn’t great . There were some really good parts to it and, for the most part, the trailer doesn’t give away all of the funny bits. In fact, I think that Seth actually excluded as many of those as the story would allow. The problem that I had with the movie was that almost all of the comedy comes from having a stuffed animal say offensive things that you might not normally find funny...but it seems funnier coming from a stuffed animal. To me, that is a little cheap. If you think about it that way the movie becomes less of a comedy and more of a “shock movie” and after a while I got bored with that. Most people will love it. I thought it was “OK”.

Worth the admission? It is for most folks. For me, it just seemed a little too gimmicky. But I am sure that most fans of Seth will have a lot of fun watching this movie. WARNING: I want to make sure that parents know that this is an R-rated movie and rightfully so. Lots of crude acts and some mild drug use…by a teddy bear. So be sure to send the kids to see BRAVE.
Let me know what you thought

No comments:

Post a Comment