MORE OF ME

Friday, July 13, 2012

(Movie Review) That's My Boy (2012)


Looking back is a hard thing to do. I mean, not physically (unless you are in one of those Halo things they give people that break their neck), but looking back on certain parts of your life always make you see them in one extreme or another. Either it was the best or the worst. People usually don’t look back at moments in their lives and say “meh. It was average”. So, when I look back at Adam Sandler movies I almost always think of them in Best/Worst categories. Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, The Waterboy, The Wedding Singer and, to a lesser extent, Mr. Deeds will always stand out to me as some pretty solid comedy work. The same can be said for the horrible piles like Little Nicky, You Don’t Mess with the Zohan, Just Go With It and Jack and Jill. So the question becomes, “how will I see this movie in 10 years” and for the first time, I have to admit that this movie is somewhere in the middle.

Storyline: While in his teens, Donny fathered a son, Todd, and raised him as a single parent up until Todd's 18th birthday. Now, after not seeing each other for years, Todd's world comes crashing down when Donny resurfaces just before Todd's wedding. -From IMDB.com

Worth the admission? This is such a weak answer, but I have to say “maybe”. This movie actually has some surprisingly funny moments that made me laugh out loud in the movie (which is rare), but the problem is that Sandler no longer knows if he wants to be a comedic actor or a SHOCK comedic actor. He has been riding that fence for a while now but it has never been clearer to me than in this movie. There are some parts of the movie that are so stupid and so unnecessary that you can’t believe that he would even include them. Just gross/shock for the hell of it. So if you catch this on a matinee (while your wife is watching Magic Mike) or on Second Run Theater, check it out…but other than that, wait for the DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment