MORE OF ME

Thursday, September 19, 2013

(Rental Review) Cloud Atlas (2012)

This was a movie that I skipped at the theater. Why? Who can really say. Maybe it was because the last few outings from the Wachowski siblings have not been so great. Speed Racer (2008) was bad enough to turn me away from their work forever. Seriously. I hated it that much. But I thought that the commercials looked interesting enough for this and really loved the actors involved. So I gave it a shot.

Cloud Atlas explores how the actions and consequences of individual lives impact one another throughout the past, the present and the future. Action, mystery and romance weave dramatically through the story as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero and a single act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution in the distant future. Each member of the ensemble appears in multiple roles as the stories move through time. -- (C) Warner Bros.

In my very humble opinion, this was an awesome movie. Seeing the reincarnation of the same actors in various roles and to see how ones soul changes from one incarnation to the next was extremely interesting and the movie delivered a LOT more than I expected. There are layers upon layers of this film that would take me far too long to write about. But the movie is beautifully shot, the acting is phenomenal, the story is a little difficult to wrap your mind around (but once you do, it's great) and this is one of the most underrated movies of 2012. Do yourself a big favor and check it out.

 Note: The way that they speak on the story of The Big Island, 2321 is infectious. Sounding like a mix of tribal speak and creole. I use the term "the true true" all of the time now because of this movie. It was a really cool touch and I thought that it added a lot to this part of the story.

B+


2 comments:

  1. It’s a long movie, but it still kept my interest and had me wondering just how all of these stories were going to converge at the end. Needless to say, I wasn’t disappointed even though I didn’t feel an emotional-connection to it whatsoever. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. None? Really? While I didn't feel it throughout the whole movie I did feel it in most of it. I don't know what it was about the characters or the actors playing them, but I got wrapped up in this movie and everything in it. Something that actually gave me a little faith in the Wachowski duo again.

    ReplyDelete