MORE OF ME

Monday, June 27, 2011

(Movie Review) THOR conquers the box office and the competition in its opening weekend

As I type this, my geek senses are still slightly tingling. Why? Because a movie that I never thought that I would want to see, about one of my least favorite comic book characters, actually turned out to be really good. This has given me TREMENDIOUS hope for the upcoming Avengers movie and I fully believe that the people behind Marvel Films could take the least known character in their roster and make a great movie with them. I just hope DC Comics (my favorite) can mimic this success. 

THOR starts off with a very quick origin. Odin (Hopkins), the king of Asgard, is shown to have won a monumental battle against a race of Frost Giants. Thor (Hemsworth) and his brother Loki (Hiddleston), while very young, revel in their father’s victory. Thor sees this as a great accomplishment and longs for the day when he will be king and can have people praise him for his conquests on the battle field. In present day, Thor has become a very warlike person. When his impetuous and brazen attitude threatens to disrupt the delicate truce between Asgard and the Frost Giants, Odin, in an attempt to teach Thor a lesson,  strips him of his powers and casts him out (to Earth). He awakes as a mortal and is soon aided by Jane (Portman) in his search for his source of power. Thor must find a way to get his powers back, to protect his new found friends, and to finally prove himself worthy to be king of Asgard.  

When I first saw the outline for this movie, I had my reservations about it. They, essentially, rewrite the mythology and replace “gods” (which is what Thor was in the comics) with advanced beings from another planet that were only considered deities due to their technological advancements. However, in a modern world, where more and more superhero movies are being grounded in reality, this is a much easier pill to swallow than having the actual “gods” angle explored. Also, to have the majority of the movie showing Thor as mortal really added a human element to the film that I feared would be lost. 

Worth the admission? Every penny of it. We actually saw it in 3D, which I thought was great but it gave my wife a headache. But for a large scale movie like this, I would recommend 3D if you can. 

NOTES: Stick around after the movie for an extra scene. Also, tell me if you noticed the other Avenger in the film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment